Thursday 2 October 2014

Kz bye bye, clapping-farewell, ping-pong, cafeina, and more.

Sooooooo, it's good bye times.
I am leaving my current place of residence (see how posh I can speak? Am movin'on dja'mean matey? Ok that was absolutely crap, fair enough). I am going to Osaka five days, where I will enjoy not getting up at 5.50 and just, walk around, check a museum or two, give a ridiculous amount of money to Mr Starbucks (I know but I'm already going to hell) and read epistolary novel (the latter being what I do best).
Then I go to Kyuushuu because there's a woofing place that looks nice and I will never ever again have to deal with one meter of snow blocking my front door (she says while holding her hands up in a prayer to the god of sunshine-pleasepleaseprettyplease).

Instead of wrapping up bursary applications for Giving Peace Faces and preparing my backpack,
I ponder at my boss making Sauerkraut :




(nan mais le mec, il aime faire sa propre choucroute, tu vas pas le lui reprocher non?),
wonder how I will make it to my next destination after Japan,
and write about tea (my last explore tea is Darjeeling, and how it makes me want to die inside):

Anne and I have been writing letters to each other for 11 years.  Sometime we talk crap, too, don't worry.
Tu la vois arriver celle-la, Anne? Bon, une trentaine de pages, ca vaaaaaaaa...



Anyways.
 My last wednesday (yesterday) meant a lunch with the people I worked with at Cafeina, running around to buy bread milk and bananas, like every single day of my life (how many litters of banana and pieces of milk do kids need?), my last chance to see Emi-san who teaches Japanese when she's not beating the hell out of me at badbington, AND... my last ping-pong (takkyu - 卓球)session.
That's when something strange happened.

Instead of being my usual self (insert [in]appropriate adjective here), I decided to be polite and not eaten up by shyness (shy, in Japanese, is hazukashi, isn't it a nice word?). So I told the club president 'hey it's my last night, thank you for everything!!! Ba-byyyyyeeeee' as I was leaving.
 So he gave me a badge, with a little protecting god, but not any protecting god, the protecting god of curling. Seriously. Curling being the most strange and uncalled for sport EVER invented on earth (ok, I don't know, I haven't done my research, you can tell me if there is another really weird sport but beating that one won't be easy).
Ok you won't believe me so I am taking a picture right now. Here:

Curling God. カーリング かみ。
believe me NOW?


You thought that was the hyper-duper-japanese thing to happen, on top of being a little surreal?
Well well my dear. Nope.

Nope...: they all gathered to clap hands in a musical-protection-blessing-farewell-be-happy-go-lucky demonstration. Well, that's what I am assuming it was, as I have not the slightest idea of why they did this and what it actually was, but it did make me feel happy.
I will research it once I have thirty seconds to myself.
I recorded it. Yes I did. It is below.

Ps: Yes, I look like a teenager boy and my hair makes me look like a baby chicken and I am taller than anyone in the room despite bending my knees as much as I could while avoiding looking ridiculous and I am redder than my t-shirt. Now you know that I know, so don't feel like you have to comment on it.

Emi san and I. Emi san wanted a hug when I left. I have never been asked for a hug ever by a Japanese person.
I think Emi might not be completely Japanese.


















Ok, here is the video... Ready?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah bon?